The day for Pantone to release 2015’s colour is now getting very close! Over the past couple of weeks we have taken a look at previous years colours Tangerine Tango (2012) and Emerald (2013). This week we turn to 2013’s colour, Radiant Orchid. Radiant Orchid was the chosen colour for 2014 as it “blooms with confidence and magical warmth that intrigues the eye and sparks the imagination. It is an expressive, creative and embracing purple—one that draws you in with its beguiling charm. A captivating harmony of fuchsia, purple and pink undertones, Radiant Orchid emanates great joy, love and health” (ref: Pantone.com). So lets take a look at some inspirational images using the colour that was (and gets to be for one more week) 2014.
Glammed up Coffee Tables would have to be one of the biggest trends hitting instagram feeds at the moment. Tables well placed with a sleek tray, a couple of decorative objects, a gorgeous vase with fresh flowers and a little stack of books. Ranging from fashion to travel, design or the latest cookbook, these well illustrated hardcover books are a pleasure to flip through and also provide another element to lounge rooms with their exquisitely photographed covers. We don’t have a coffee table at the moment – a large ottoman fills that space and we’re in the midst of building one for our second lounge, but I can assure you my addiction for coffee table books is still way up there. While not quite as sturdy as a table, using the ottoman as a coffee table has been working just fine for the display of pretty items. Using a tray we have been utilising the space for display while still not missing out on the comfort of putting our feet up. The added benefit is, all our display items can easily be removed by placing the tray elsewhere, giving us a few extra seats when entertaining.
Being such a big part of current trends in coffee table decorating, today I’m going to share with you some of my favourite coffee table books. When considering purchasing one of these books it is also important to choose decorative literature that reflects your taste, hobbies, passions and personality – whether that’s cooking, home décor, travel or fashion – choose what you love to get the most enjoyment our of this centrepiece. All these below titles have a special place in my heart so I absolutely love having any of them on display.
1. The Bathers’ Pavilion By Serge Dansereau – Earlier this year, our wedding was at Bather’s Pavilion, I was absolutely delighted to discover this book a few months later. It is filled with beautiful recipes and images that bring back memories from the best day of my life.
2. Easy Luxury by Darren Palmer – Easily my favourite designer, Darren Palmer is not only extremely talented but is also a really nice guy. He’s the type of designer I aspire to be and his style is always spot on.
3. Style by Lauren Conrad – While Darren Palmer is my design icon, Lauren Conrad is my style icon. I’m an avid follower of her blog and her two books, Style and Beauty are equally beautiful and practical.
4. Luxury Private Islands by Farhad Vladi – Tropical beach holidays are my favourite type of holiday, whether its to Thailand, The Maldives or the North Coast of Australia they are always the most refreshing and enjoyable for me. This book, is filled with gorgeous photos of private islands, and is like a mini daydream escape, or source of inspiration for the next getaway.
5. Andrew & Olivia by Me – I’ve saved the best for last! This would be my favourite coffee table book, and something I highly recommend doing. Making your own coffee table book, filled with images from special days, travel, family or friends is not only a great talking point, but a wonderful way to capture and share. I created our book through Blurb and I could not speak highly enough of the quality and service.
Woohoo! The day is here that we are finally heading off to the USA! Currently we are at the airport waiting to board QF 0011, unfortunately a business class upgrade hasn’t come our way (drats!) BUT in 15 hours we will be reliving Friday in LA, and I definitely love that! So Happy Friday to everyone, I hope you all have some wonderful things to look forward to over the weekend. Over the next couple of weeks I’ll be sharing snippets from my holiday on instagram if you’re not already, follow me (@Livwithvision) for regular holiday and design updates. So before we jet off, here is the top 5 things I’ve been loving and looking forward to this week!
Gorgeous Palms – There’s just something so peaceful about reflections and sunsets
Summer Sun room – I feel like sitting here would be like something out of a dream…
To die for ceilings – And that pendant, this room ticks all my boxes!
This kitchen – There’s just something about cupboards that go all the way to the ceiling – LOVE!!
Bliss Balls – No bake, travel friendly and absolutely delicious, bliss balls are the perfect companion for long flights or road trips (and of course pre or post workouts)!
Thanksgiving is not a holiday that Australians get the pleasure of officially celebrating, but it’s always been one that has really interested me. I absolutely adore the idea of having a special day that is set aside just to give thanks and be thankful for all we have. Traditionally, Thanksgiving was a holiday that was created to give thanks for the blessing of the harvest and of the preceding year, so naturally that’s where all the pumpkins and rustic décor come from.
This year, I get the pleasure of being in Los Angeles for Thanksgiving – we fly off tomorrow and to say I’m excited would be a huge understatement! We’ve had this holiday planned since the start of the year, so (as you do for most holidays) I have been researching all things LA and Thanksgiving – from cocktails and dinners to décor and most importantly, how to set the table. So I thought, although we don’t celebrate it down under, lets take a look at some table settings and thanksgiving décor for one the most meaningful holidays of the year…
If you celebrate Thanksgiving, I’d love to know what’s on your menu this year. I always love to get inspiration from what other people are getting up to in the kitchen. If you ARE looking at cooking up a storm for this year’s holiday season, check out comparaboo to see a comparison of all the top rated products to create your perfect festive feast!
Every year at the start of December, Pantone releases their next colour of the year. It is always a highly anticipated announcement as designers around the world try to guess what the newest colour will be. In the lead up to this announcement I thought I would pay homage to a few colours from previous years – this week we are taking a look at 2013’s Emerald.
Here’s what Pantone had to say about Emerald – “ Emerald…. Most often associated with brilliant, precious gemstones, the perception of Emerald is sophisticated and luxurious. Since antiquity, this luminous, magnificent hue has been the colour of beauty and new life in many cultures and religions. Also the colour of growth, renewal and prosperity, no other colour conveys regeneration more than green.” Below are some inspirational images for this refreshing hue – if you’d like to see more, check out my first ever Colour Of The Week post, featuring Emerald.